Monday, November 30, 2009

It Is Upon Us!

I hope everyone has had a good Thanksgiving. I know we did.


Yes, the Holiday Season is officially here. After Thanksgiving, we no longer need to apologize for Christmas shopping, or decorating, or blasting the 24 hour Holiday Music station from our cars. It is now acceptable to wear Santa hats and string lights up all over the place and to hand out candy canes as if they were.... um... candy.

As you can tell from certain obnoxious changes in this blog's format, I am embracing Christmas is all it's joy and tackiness this year, and my my goal is to spread the joy. But to do that, I may need your help. Let me know your favorite and least favorite Holiday songs, books, movies, and games. Leave them in a comment, email me, Facebook me, whatever, but let me know your favorite parts of this time of year and your least favorite parts of this time of year.




Today's Holiday Link is for the Festival Of Trees. The one we go to in in Methuen. We go every year, and once we even won a tree! (I think we won it because Nick was sticking our raffle tickets in every boxhe could reach and nobody wanted this tree because it was boring and irritating, but still!) I suggest you look around and see if there are any similar events near you. It's worth it.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Some of my least favorite parts of this time of year:

-long lines before check out

-not knowing what I'm supposed to get anyone

-cold

-sitting in places like diners the week after Christmas day when Christmas Carols are still being played over the radio via the alto sax. That's the most depressing part, in my opinion.

Aside from that, what's not to like about Christmas?

g. fox said...

sigh. my absolute favorite time of year.

twinkle lights on dark evenings, all flavors and manifestations of hot chocolate, the snowflake on 5th Ave, carols, cheese trays, afternoon beers in Irish pubs, post-shopping burgers, The Muppet Christmas Carol, both versions of Miracle on 34th Street, Salvation Army santas, SNOW, cookies, pretty wrapping paper, watching movies you know verbatim, constant unabating melancholy, giving presents, believing in Santa, decorations, holiday parties, mistletoe, sleigh bells, cinnamon buns, choral Vespers services, midnight mass, O Magnum Mysterium, champagne, The Santa Clause, holding hands, mitten sets, ice skating, grocery store commercials that make you cry, overlarge trees, tinsel. I could keep going, but it might clog the server...

Jean said...

Hmmmm, all of the above plus lasagna and, of course, The Little Saint Nick, by the Beachboys

Susan's Losin' said...

I love Steve and Edie's Christmas album, the smell of christmas trees, the simple little white lights used in decorating homes inside and out (I don't like all the colored lights!), and the music of choirs, and the excitement felt in church services. Everybody just seems a little nicer.

I don't love Santas in malls, stressed out parents yelling at their kids, knowing that for some Christmas is extremely depressing, and canned Christmas Carol music!