Thursday, February 26, 2009

Chapter 17 - In Which Nick Gets Sneaky

Something is going on.

I don't know what it is, but both Nick and Nate have been acting up in different ways - Nate by grabbing toys and hitting and yelling "No I Don't Want To!" and Nicholas by throwing awful temper tantrums which include high pitched screams and clinging and other regressive behavior (like clinging to me crying "mama" if it's about me leaving.)

This started a while ago, and I figured that the behavior would change, that whatever set it off would eventually get addressed, that the kids would figure out the tantrums weren't getting them anywhere. But they've only gotten worse.

Today Nick threw a tantrum at 7:30 am when he learned we were going to the library and would be returning the video he's picked out - a Gumby Movie. I hate Gumby. We've had him for two weeks, and I was quite ready to see him go back. But Nick cried, screamed, kicked his heels, refused to stop or to go someplace else to calm down. The more he tantrumed the more adamant I was that Gumy would go back. I pried the DVD from Nick's clutching fingers, and stuck it in the bag, then ushered the boys upstairs to get dressed.

Of course by the time we got to the library the DVD was no longer in the bag. Nick had stuck it under a blanket in the living room. "I told you I didn't want to go to the library," he said sadly.

I have put Gumby on the "Do Not Watch" list. But I am still worried about my boys. What's going on with these guys?

No comments: