Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ni-ni? Uh-oh!

Andrew is learning to speak. Every so often he will say something that sounds like a word, and the give that cute little impish grin, as though he's just told a naughty joke. Tonight I even heard him sing for the first time. (In case you were wondering, he produced an echo of Nathan's opening notes of "The Wall-E song.")

But the two words Andy has down pat are "Ni ni" which means "Sleep" or "naptime" or "Good Night" depending on the actual situation, and "Uh-oh" which means "Everything Else." If Andy is left to play alone and doesn't decide to cry, you'll hear him say "Bababa Uh-oh! Ahh Uh-oh! Uh-oh! um ummmmmm Uh-oh! Uh-oh!"

I actually had a funny conversation with Andrew today while trying to get him to nap. "Night night!" I said. And he replied, "Ni ni! Ni ni!" as I rocked him in my arms. "Ni ni!" long pause. Then "Uh-oh!" And then I started laughing, because it sounded as though he just realized I was trying to get him to sleep. And once I started laughing, he started laughing. "Shhhh! Go to sleep!" I whispered, trying to not laugh. "Ni ni!" he said. "Uh oh! Ni ni!"

1 comment:

Lou said...

Oh - so cute.