Monday, July 16, 2012

Dinner Time

I make dinner every single night.

OK, not every night. There are nights we order pizza, but not too many. And there are nights Steve makes dinner, or sometimes just grills some meat while I throw a side together.

But most nights, I make dinner.

And I stress over what to make. Yes, I want to be healthy and serve my children nutritious meals. But mostly I stress about what to make because I think if I have to make chicken or tacos one more time my head will explode. This is where the blogs to the readers left come in, particularly Greens and Chocolate (by someone I don't know) and What I Haven't Cooked Yet (someone I actually knew in college.)

Anyway, I have been combing through these sites and sometimes I can find something that I not only want to eat, but I can also make. And then I go ahead and make it. Sometimes I remember to buy all the ingredients. Not always. And most of the time the things I make are so yummy! Even Steve has liked almost everything I've made. (The cherry chutney, not so much.) The boys.... the boys usually don't touch it. Unless it's to stick a very small pasta swirl on a lower lip and the splutter uncontrollably and ask for more milk.

The other day I was planning on making an avocado and corn salad. I was prepared. But I realized about twenty minutes before showtime that all of my avocados were rotten. Grey and squishy and way way softer than they should have been.

So I improvised. I threw what I had together, which wasn't much. Sesame bagels. Cheddar cheese. Pasta sauce.

Pizza Bagels.

And even though the bagels were stale and burned in the broiler, the boys wolfed them down and declared this the best dinner ever.

Shoot. It's just so discouraging.

No comments: