Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Even Trade

Yesterday, Andrew said "I really wish I lived at Zane's house."

Zane is a kid my children are fond of. He is in Nick and Nate's karate class, and rides the same bus. Or at least he used to, but this year he is on a different bus. While his little brother still hops on the same #bus as my three, Zane now takes an earlier bus to The Middle School. Because he is now in the 6th grade.

You can't pick your children's friends, no matter how hard you try. I guess at a very young age you can not let them hang out with undesirable other-kids, but when they all get into karate class, nothing is there to prevent your crazy 1st grader from bonding with that crazy 5th grader.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I went to a meeting at the school, an open house night, and I took advantage of this mother's offer to watch the boys while I did that, so I wouldn't have to pay for a sitter just to listen to an explanation of the new grading system and sign up to bring cupcakes to the valentine's party next February.

Andy apparently had a good time.

"Andy," I said. "You want to live with Zane? You want to LIVE with him? All of the time?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Well, I don't want you to. I'd miss you too much and I won't let you go."

"I know," he sighed. "But he sure does have a lot of fun nerf guns."

This is what happens. I jump through hoops dragging the kids to after-school activities and making it to school functions, and they dump me for the family with the nerf guns.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! The grassis always greener...until you have to mow it regularly!