Friday, January 30, 2015

Birthday Party

Last weekend we finally had Andrew's Birthday Party.

Andy was born on December 17th. It's a horrible time of year to have a birthday party. Everyone is fraught with holiday tension, schedules are crammed with holiday parties, and because of all this the party planning really needs to start before Thanksgiving. It never does.

Last year none of the boys had a birthday party, so this year I promised. It's just that we had to pick dates that were a little later than the actual birthdays. Because of Christmas, basketball games... things like that.

These days parties get ridiculous. They're all at movie theaters, laser tag, arcades. The simplest party invites 8 people for $300, and you still have to bring your own cake. It's great if you can afford it because you don't have to worry about the pizza.

But I decided not to go all out.

Steve came over and set up the playstation on the big screen in the den.

Andy had a guest list of 7 people.

We bought an ice cream cake at the market basket.

I ordered pizza to be delivered.

It snowed 8 inches and three kids cancelled.

But the four that showed up had a great time.

This is how I'm doing all of my kids' parties. The boys had a blast. They hung out and did what kids do and I didn't need to do much of anything except clean my house and worry about folks getting up and down the driveway.

Nate's birthday party is in 2 weeks. We're doing this. I'll figure out if 3rd graders are as great as the 1st graders. But so far Nate only wants 5 kids...

No comments: