Friday, June 26, 2009

Baby Boom

I don't usually post pictures of other people's kids. But today I am going to. I'm not using names, and I'm not even naming the parents.

I want to preface this post by saying that I am not pregnant. You hear that, internet? Me, not pregnant, not now! Steve, you may resume breathing.

In fact, this is the longest I've gone without being pregnant since... well, since I first became pregnant. I know this because when Nick was Andy's age, I was due to have a baby at almost any moment, and when Nate was Andy's age I was again weeding through my maternity clothes and trying to find something that didn't make me look (or feel) like the stay-puff marshmallow man.

Maybe this pause between pregnancies is why my baby hormones have suddenly gone into overdrive. For the first time since before I became a mom, I am looking at infants and coveting. Sure, I looked at babies and infants and loved them. I thought they were cute. I wised I could dress my kids in pink polka dots and cute shoes. But I didn't feel any need associated with them. I could think they were adorable smushes, and that was it.


These days the feeling is overwhelming. I look at an infant and think "I gotta have one!" Lucky for me I have an actual brain that steps in and says "YOU ARE SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT, MORON! YOU HAVE ONE MORE YEAR OF DIAPERS AND SIX MORE MONTHS OF WHOLE MILK! YOU ALMOST HAVE YOUR LIFE BACK!" Besides all that, the logistics of having a fourth child, not to mention the pregnancy, would most likely be like a hydrogen bomb exploding in our home. We simply could not deal with it. So a fourth child is out. And frankly, that makes me sad, because part of me knows I could do four.



These feelings are hitting me at a time when it seems everyone, and I mean EVERYONE is pregnant, or just had a baby. Take the liks on this site. Debs of It's my Life is halfway through her own pregnancy. And you can check out Dooce for updates about her new addition. No fewer than five of my facebook friends are currently expecting. And a few of them have newbies. And in my crazed state, I sometimes wonder if the universe is trying to tell me something.

This is when you post comments to tell me I'm wrong, and that three is enough.

6 comments:

Lou said...

THREE IS ENOUGH - holy jesus, three is enough. Or, if you're like me, THREE IS TOO MANY.

Jamie said...

5 is enough. If mom and dad thought 3 was enough, Emily and I wouldn't be here. but maybe you could use a breather before numero 4

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I thought it was 8 is enough, but my aunt & uncle had an even dozen before they decided to stop. I won't even speculate that maybe #4 is a girl; nope, not going there at all.

Anne-E. said...

Babies are boring. Very few of them cry sarcastically. Your kids are precocious enough to have already developed wry sensibilities. What will they be like when they're twelve? Your best years are ahead.

Debs said...

I'm not sure I can really comment. I'd say one is enough for starters, but I'm pretty certain I don't want to stop there, so.... hm, that didn't really help did it?!

g. fox said...

I think you need four. but I agree with Jamie that a breather is in order.