Thursday, July 24, 2008

No TV

Getting the boys to pick up their toys is... close to impossible. I find myself standing in the middle of the room barking orders, telling each boys what to pick up, where to put it, again and again because they move so slowly and get distracted so easily. It really is so much easier to clean up myself.

But I know it's important to get them to learn how to do it themselves. So I try any number of things to motivate them to get the job done. This week, if the toys are still on the floor when we come down that morning, there is no TV that day.

There are a number of reasons I don't think this is the best solution, and also a number of reasons I don't feel bad about doing it. This is the second day in a row I have had to suffer. Because the boys are a little sad when there is no TV. But they get over it. They play. They ask me things. They fight. They bump each other. They cry and they need me. And the things I do during their TV time - things like getting dressed, making dinner, folding laundry - all these things I now need to do while dealing with live, rambunctious little beings. Instead of the comatose, zombified little boys that TV turns them into.

When they say TV is a TOOL, they mean that it helps you get stuff done around the house.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I thought that baseball bat in Nate's hand was a shotgun for a second.

I wonder what people did before TV? I bet they slipped strong alcoholic beverages into little boys and girls' sip cups so they'd mellow out.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

In the olden days before tv & electricity, we played outside all the live-long day. If the weather wasn't great, we coloured, drew, made forts in the living room & ran up & down the stairs!

Now go ask your parents what they did -- I think there were chickens in your mother's early days!