Wednesday, July 15, 2009

All Good Things

Our trip to France has come to an end, as all trips must. But thanks to Andrew's resiting the change back, my body is still enjoying the effects of the time difference. Last night was the first night he didn't come into my room at 3am wanting to play.

I have been strong, though, and have resisted the urge to throw him out the window or nap too much during the day. But today I broke down. After putting Andy down I stretched out beside Nate until he fell asleep, and then climbed under the covers next to Nick, who no longer sleeps every day.

I fell asleep, and dreamed I was in France with Anne-E and Jamie, and we were watching movies on a big ceiling in a huge room, and I was dancing in the darkness, thinking about how I was wasting the sunlight, holing myself up in the dark room. But before I left I asked Jamie to check his computer to find out when Meg and Winston and Emily would be arriving. I was so excited to see them. And when I thought I saw Jamie alone in the next room, another huge, endless room with tall, tall ceilings and a floor that was black and smooth and shiny and that might have been water... I ran into that room, but it wasn't him. In fact, I woke up.

And it took a few moments for me to realize that the vacation was actually over, and that I wouldn't be going back for awhile, and that I didn't even know the next time I'd be seeing my brothers or sisters (OK, Jamie next week, but you know...) And I was just coming to terms with the fact that I wasn't going to be seeing them, when Nicholas stirred beside me.

Before I could take a breath, Nick asked "Mom, did you enjoy the nap I let you have?"

Yes. The nap he let me have. And the wonderful dream.



3 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

That is just the BEST dream I have ever heard!

Jamie said...

it's so weird that you would have a dream where i was on the computer.

see you next week!