Thursday, September 03, 2009

How It Begins

We've had a busy week. Nathan has been sick, and had to miss his first day of school. Andrew has not had a fever but has been unbelievably cranky, refusing to let me out of his sight. And today when I picked up Nick his teacher came out to the car to let me know he had been weepy and tired. Kids are getting up at 4am, naps are all over the place, screen time and reading time are distant memories. Not only is my house a mess, but nothing is where it should be during the day, either, no matter how hard I try to keep things - like lunch and dinner - where they belong.

I have been so busy and running around like a lunatic. I haven't been able to run for the last couple of days, which puts me in a bad mood in the best of times. But I've also been overwhelmingly exhausted. And this afternoon I just threw a fit because the boys refused to watch Look Who's Talking or 101 Dalmations, but insisted on Sprout, which I simply refuse to sit through any longer.

And something tells me that maybe, just maybe, this touchiness and this tiredness is the first symptom of whatever it is they've got.

Actually, I kind of hope it is, because otherwise I've got no excuse for feeling so irritated and annoyed at my own offspring.

1 comment:

Susan's Losin' said...

Once the boys are feeling better, maybe it's finally time for you to take a class, join a group that is just for you. You've been doing so much for your family all these years, it's your turn to focus on yourself! This is a known cure for irritability :)