Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Angry Birds

I have choir rehearsal before services on Sunday mornings, and the kids hang out with a number of other church kids during this time. One of them is a teenager who happens to live up the street from us, named Courtney.

Courtney has a cell phone that plays games. And in an effort to please my children and perhaps even get them to leave her alone for a moment, she lets them play some of the games.

One day, after church, Nicholas said "Mom, you HAVE to get Angry Birds! It's the best game!" And I seriously had no idea what he was talking about. But not too long afterwards I was browing the apps for my iPad and I found the free version of the game. So I got it - I mean, it's free, what's the harm? Right?

I could not stop playing this game. I didn't want to fold laundry or watch my kids do gymnastics, I wanted to play this game instead.

See, it's about these pigs that steal the eggs that belong to these birds. So the birds then get angry. And attack the pigs by hurling themselves at them with a giant slingshot. Only the pigs are smart and able to build fortresses out of wood and ice and stone. And they hide in the fortresses, and you have to aim the birds just right so as to break through in just the right way.

Yes, I know, it's like it was created by a bunch of people doing madlibs. But still, it's a very addicting and absorbing game. For me. Steve never liked it.

So when I finished all the free levels, I spent the five dollars to buy the full version.

I've gotten over the initial draw. I play the game for a few minutes when Steve picks the TV program and I don't need or want to give it my full attention. But Nick still has not gotten over this game. In fact, even when he isn't begging me for the iPad, he and his brothers play Angry Birds, the live version, which involves a lot of running around and flinging of small objects. Sometimes, when they get tired of that, they play Angry Pigs, which I think must be the second part, when the pigs rise in force and re-attack.

Anyway, the music is really irritating.

3 comments:

Jules said...

that's so funny, Jane is addicted to it too! Myself, I prefer Cut the Rope and Fruit Ninja. They are both lots of fun and both sound absolutely ridiculous if you try and explain them to someone.

Jamie said...

Angry Birds- that is the most frequently downloaded ap. Also, try Doodle Jump. Not nearly as sophisticated, but equally time consuming and hypnotic.

g. fox said...

the pigs are GREEN! (This is what Nate tells me, anyway...)