Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Dream Vacation

It might seem a little odd to be posting about DisneyWorld and them immediately posting about another really exciting and rare vacation.

But I am.

I am going to the Caribbean on a boat with my parents and a cast of characters. The trip will last over a week. Almost two weeks, when I pad a day on each side for travelling to and from New York, the official point of departure. The cast of characters will NOT include some major players. Such as my husband. Or my children.

As the trip is approaching, I am feeling more and more nervous. I have packed and re-packed my suitcase. This wasn't hard - I need bathing suits and something to throw on over. Everything fits in one tiny bag. I'm not sure why I keep sifting through this stuff.

One thing I do know, though. I am nervous about leaving my kids. I've left them with Steve before. I mean, he is the other parent. One would think he would be capable of taking care of his own kids. But still. I have never been away for so long before.

I'm making Steve a survival guide, a list of things that need to be done each day - like which days the boys have karate, and when the trash goes out. I know he's not going to even glance at this, and the boys will miss all activities and the trash won't even fit in all the barrels. But I feel better knowing that he won't be sitting around, wondering what the schedule is, or misjudging how much insulin to inject the cat with.

Don't get me wrong. I'm looking forward to this vacation. I deserve a vacation. I am really looking forward to not having to pick up after people, or do laundry, and to have someone else make the meals. I;m looking forward to needing sunscreen and tropical drinks, and some grown up conversation. And while I'm away I shall take photographs and make everyone jealous. I will return with funny or awkward stories, further tales of air travel, and a renewed appreciation for my family.

I'm just going to miss them all so much.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I hope you have the time of your life - this is a Disneyland for adults!