Thursday, March 29, 2012

Imaginary Friend



I make two of the kids read to me every night. Sometimes the boys get to choose what they read, but other times I make the choice. Why, you ask? Because if I didn't Nathan would spend an hour trying to plow through Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and Nicholas would be reading I Can Go! every night because it's fast and easy. 

When it was my turn to choose for Nick, I chose A Birthday for Frances by Russell Hoban. Anne-E gave the boys a collection of Frances books for Christmas one year. Do you know these books? They are rather old. I read them when I was little. But I have to admit, even then I didn't enjoy them the way I do now. 

Nick, however, wasn't happy about reading this book.  He grumbled and pouted, but finally began reading in a monotone voice devoid of any real feeling.

It was the day before
Frances's little sister Gloria's birthday.
Mother and Gloria were sitting at the kitchen table,
making place cards for the party.
Frances was in the broom closet, singing:


Happy Thursday to you,
Happy Thursday to you,
Happy Thursday, dear Alice,
Happy Thursday to you.


I knew eventually Nick would get into it, and this is where he stopped to ask his first question. One which would be answered by the end of the first page. Nathan, however, always has an answer ready.

Nick: Who is Alice?
Nate: The broom.




3 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I think Nathan may be right. I always name my brooms!

Debs said...

Oh I love the Frances books. I will have to try to find my old copies at my mum's house, cos i bet Sophia would be starting to enjoy them now.

I love bread and jam for Frances when that's all she'll eat, and then by the end she's got a varied lunch and she bites it bit by bit so it all comes out even

Susan's Losin' said...

Now this makes me laugh, out loud! I adore your sons.