Monday, October 19, 2009

American Girl

I don't know why I get half the catalogs I get in the mail.

For instance, for the past year we have received the American Girl magazine. If you are unfamiliar with American Girl, you need to check it out, because if I told you, you wouldn't believe me.

I consider getting American Girl magazine an insult, of a kind. Somebody rubbing it in. Not only do I not have a little girl to buy one of these dolls for, but I also never had one of my own.

My sisters did - I know Emily did. I think she got Molly, the WWII doll. But Emily was never that into dolls. I was, alas, too old to be into dolls when these first came about.

But now, we get this magazine, and I pour over it, looking at each overpriced item, at each outfit for each doll, and I wish I had a reason to get them. I don't feel I can justify buying any of it for any of my sons.

And alas, this American Girl's magazine announces that my favorite doll, Kirsten, is going to be retired. This is the last time she is featured. I don't know why she's my favorite. Probably because she's from Sweden and celebrates Christmas with one of those candle wreath thingies on her head. And has loopy braids. I was horrified. How could they do this! She was one of the original three! But then I realized that Samantha, another original, was also missing from the line-up. When did this happen? How could it?

Anyway, I considered buying myself a Kirsten doll, just because. Then I decided that I didn't really want her, I just liked the IDEA of her, and all of her cute accessories. And maybe I was sad because, when I look through that catalog, I remember what it was like to be a little girl. Maybe THAT is what I'm really missing. Being a little girl, with a new doll.

3 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes it is good to be reminded of our own childhoods & to mourn the loss of them. The freedom from all care & worries, an incredilby imaginative time where all thoughts, toys & stories could seemingly be real & the comfort of knowing that parents were there to give us whatever we needed. But it is always a relief to return to adulthood & also to give those same things to our children -- boys or girls. You're doing just that American Girl doll or Bob the Builder, Optimus Prime, whatever. Give that catalog to those boys & watch them destroy it!

g. fox said...

if it makes you feel any better, those dolls are made by underpaid little girls in China.

I had Samantha as a kid until I found out about Mattel's overseas practices and boycotted the whole thing.

Jamie said...

I put toy trucks and elephant figurines on my desk at work at Amnesty and nobody thought it was weird there. However, this new place I think I come off as juvenile. I might have to hide them.