Saturday, October 31, 2009

Reverse Trick Or Treat

Happy Halloween, Everyone!

Today I would like to offer you both, a trick and a treat.

First, the trick. This year, we are practicing Reverse Trick-or-Treating. See, at church (here we go) I picked up five of these cards with little bits of chocolate attached. When the kids go from door to door with their bags of candy and their UNICEF boxes, they are supposed to hand one of these cards back as a "Thank You."

Steve hates this idea. He sees it as pushing our ideals and being "hippie dippie." But the cards say nothing about God, nothing about our church. Instead, they are about Free Trade - October is Free Trade Awareness month, among other things. It explains that many chocolate products we buy come from cocoa supplied from farms involved in Forced Child Labor, and it encourages people to consider buying Fair Trade Chocolate in the future. I like it. But I can see how it does push "hippie dippie" ideals. What do you think?

Second, the treat:

I made a jack-o-lanters a couple of weeks ago. My best, ever. It was from a kit marketed for 6-year-olds. My level, it turns out. Of ocurse, by now the teeth have turned in and it looks like a lunatic Granny-with-no-dentures. Still scary, but in a very different way.


And we are off to Trick-or-Treat. Andy refuses to wear his costume without flailing around in tears. He will have to go as "Naked Baby" or maybe as "Screaming Baby." We'll see. Maybe once the candy starts being deposited in his Elmo Bucket he'll forget he's wearing a cape?

4 comments:

Jamie said...

i LOVE this picture. I might have to have it printed and framed. I'm sorry Andy's so unhappy, but it's so funny!!!

I like the UNICEF idea. And no, it is not hippie-dippy and besides, one can be accused of being worse things.

g. fox said...

I think it's Fair Trade month is great. And important. Also, that your kids are cute.

Don't fret too much about Andy. I was once an incurable nudey, but eventually I straightened up and started wearing clothes. :-)

Susan's Losin' said...

There is nothing hippie-dippie about caring about the children of this world. You've got it right!

A Frenchie + an American in Paris +1 said...

I think it's great to inform people (who may not know otherwise); especially of ways to help children in this world who are much less fortunate than a lot of us! Happy Halloween! The boys are adorable!