Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Spoonfull Of Somthin'

While we were in New York we had the good fortune of being taken to see Mary Poppins, the Broadway Musical.

I could say a lot here. I have always had a soft spot for Broadway musicals, and I enjoy a love/hate relationship with all things Disney, meaning I feel I should dislike it, but usually all I can do is tamper my expressions of enjoyment. I like the movie Mary Poppins - it was the first movie I remember seeing, and we were either on vacation in Puerto Rico or on a boat. (I was very small.) I also enjoyed the Mary Poppins books by Dr. P.L. Travers - yes, there were books, and there were a few of them, and I read them all.

The musical seemed to be an odd mash of the movie and the books, with new songs, old songs in different contexts, and a few moments of baffling choreography. It included a giant parrot head umbrella, Mary flying over the audience, a man walking on the ceiling, and statues coming to life. I enjoyed myself, I have to admit, but probably not as much as I would have if I hadn't been wondering what the forces in charge had been thinking.

When Winston and I saw the movie when we were little, his favorite song was the one about the tuppin. You know, "Feed The Birds, Tuppin's a bag?" We had no idea what a tuppin was, but we liked the pigeons. That song was still in the show. I'm not sure if it was nostalgia or the song itself that made me cry.


Unfortunately, not everyone today agrees with the message of the song. Especially the Statue of Liberty Ferry folk.

1 comment:

Susan's Losin' said...

Let's hear it for "tuppins'! Loved the blog and the pictures.