Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Cleaning Up

A few years ago I hired a maid service.

At first I had them coming every week, but then I cut it back to once every other week, mostly because the weather was inconsistent and they would cancel on Monday, reschedule for Friday, and then return the following Monday, and I figured... Why?

Then I cut back again. To every three weeks. My reasoning this time was that I do not love the job that they do. I can often spot spilled coffee splotches on the floor after it has been mopped, and they never seem to wash around or outside the toilets. Since I live in a house of three small boys and a large boy (face it - does it make a difference?) this is a must. I think I do a better job.

So I have designated one day a week as "Clean The House Day!" This is the day I clean the house. These days it is Tuesday. I vacuum the whole house, mop the kitchen and the bathrooms, and clean the bathrooms. I don't always get to do it all.

It helps that Andy is obsessed with the vacuum. He loves it. He knows where it is kept, and he pulls it out whenever he can. If I leave it out, he will try to use it. A couple of times he has even managed to plug it in.

It would be more helpful if the older boys would pick up their toys. But they don't. They think about it, but usually end up fighting or deciding they don't care if you put all the toys in the trash. Today I brought out a bin and started putting toys in it. "These toys are going on the High Shelf because you did not pick them up!" I said, using my Big Voice.

The boys did not seem concerned. Nick even walked over to me. "Let me help you, Mom!" he said, and started picking up toys and placing them in the bin.

Which was right next to the toy box. Which was where I had asked him to put the toys in the first place.

Someone, please, help me to understand.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I got nuttin'. But it does seem to speak to your previous comment comparing big boys to small boys, i.e. "does it make a difference?". I postulate the answer is a resounding, "No!" Because it seems most boys seem to think someone (a girl usually!) will be walking behind them picking things up as they drop them wherever. O, please give me a guy with just a touch of OCD!!!