Wednesday, October 05, 2011

And THAT'S why we Listen!

I don't always pay close attention to Steve. I mean, when I'm making dinner and I'm trying to get everything cooked and on the table, and I'm also trying to watch an episode of Arrested Development... well, I may nod and smile and say "uh-huh!" or "Mmmm!" without truly understanding what it is he's saying. I may hear the words, but without understanding them.

I take full responsibility for this.

This morning was the morning we had to take the car in for a fabric treatment. We paid for it because the interior of the car is light grey, and we have three boys and a dog. But it takes four hours for them to do, and I simply don't have four hours of time I can spend in a car service waiting room.

I rescheduled this appointment three times because Steve's work schedule kept needing him to travel.

Finally the day was today! It was here! And while I was in the shower Steve banged on the door and told me he was going on ahead, like we'd talked about. Because he had a call. I remembered that part. "OK!" I shouted, rinsing soap out of my hair.

See, I figured we'd have lots of time to get the car seat and everything out of the car while we were waiting for the school bus.

But when I got downstairs, I realized Steve had taken my car. THE car. The one I usually drive that we were going to get treated.

Which had the car seats in it.

Steve's car did not have any car seats in it.

I figured out I could just use a booster for Andy instead, and then drive carefully.

Very carefully. Because my glasses were in MY car.

And so was, it turned out, my bag with my cash and credit cars and my license.

It was better and better.

Add to this the fact that it was pouring rain, like, pouring pouring pouring. I could hardly see anything. Especially since I was wearing sunglasses. (I have no extra pair of glasses! I know! I know!)

I called Steve and left a message on his cell phone. But my messages sometimes take up to three hours to reach his phone. So I was a little frazzled.

But it all worked out in the end. I was just very wet from stomping through puddles and being half out-the-door while installing Andy's Car Seat.

When I got there, Steve had a coffee for me. I SO should have listened!

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Ah ha ha ha ha! We all do this! We all nod & pretend to listen. Then end up saying, "WHAA?!" But the coffee was a nice touch; smart husband!