Sunday, October 02, 2011

Pompeii

We went to the Pompeii exhibit yesterday at the Museum of Science.

The boys were fine. No one freaked out, and we managed to drag them away from the body casts before thy realized that the skeletal remains were in fact skeletal remains and not a Halloween display.

I really love the Museum of Science. There is really so much to do, and a lot of it has a hands-on part so that the kids can really get involved. There's also a whole section for younger kids, and we spent a lot of time there.

My issue with museums is that there is usually so much pressure to see everything. It's so expensive to take a family there. Usually we're either dragging the boys into something they don't want to see or dragging them from somewhere they want to stay.

But last year we went and became members of the museum. Aside from giving us discounted tickets to the exhibits (instead of $27 a ticket we paid $4 a ticket) we also get in to the museum free. Meaning we can go back whenever we want to play with the water table, the magnets, the display of the planets to scale.

Suddenly I didn't care if we moved on, or if we stayed and played in the kid-sized bird's nest all morning. It made the visit so much more enjoyable because I could just be happy where I was, in the moment.



What this means

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Wow! What a great thing to do! My family belonged to the local museum when I was a kid & I loved it! They would drop me off & then pick me up hours later. I was never ready to go home. I loved paling with the rocks (minerals) & the small animals (snakes & rodents). And I turned out oaky. Right? RIGHT?! Ah ah ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

While I may have been "paling" with the animals, I swear I never did so with the rocks. I think I meant playing -- yes, that is what I meant, playing with the rocks & small animals.