Sunday, February 05, 2012

Superbowl

 I wasn't going to post this morning, but sometimes things happen that make certain posts better for certain days. Even if I don't like football. 

When I was a kid, I don't think we ever integrated sports into school. I mean, we might have PLAYED all kinds of different sports, which is great and in my opinion, the best way to integrate sports into a curriculum. But we never mentioned sporting events, except for perhaps the Olympics, because they only took place once every 4 years. (This was before the Olympic people changed it to once ever two years, confusing everything and making it less special.)

But we live in New England. We take our sports very seriously. Even when all the teams were chronic losers who never won, people were devoted to their teams to the point of obsession. And the winning hasn't let that change.

Which is why I can't let Andy wear that Yankee's sweatshirt out of the house EVER, because he might get beat up. Sorry, Mom, he's real cute in it, and he'll wear it when we're in New York. Or France.

But the point of this post is that even the schools are into sports. Friday was "Team Day" and everyone, kids, teachers, volunteering parents, were wearing their Patriots gear. Rub on tattoos adorned little kindergarten faces. Oversized jerseys tripped them up. Both Nick and Nate brought home football word searches, drawings, and craft projects.

Good Luck, Giants. We've got Game.



1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Oy! You might as well live in Texas. There they get as crazy about LOCAL HS SPORTS! Call me a girl, but I think there are more important things in the world than sports. But in the spirit of it all, I hope your team wins, if only so you (Fleen) do not have a house full of mopey boys!