Monday, June 25, 2012

Last Trophy


When Andy was born, in the middle of a snowstorm in 2007, I decided I needed to do something to get the boys some exercise. After overhearing some parents talking at Nick's school, I signed them up for gymnastics classes.

I showed up with Andy as an infant, in a carrier. That was 4 and a half years ago. We patiently sat through 18 months of gym classes until he was old enough for the baby class himself.

I have given Andy a choice. He could keep doing gymnastics, or he could do karate. The two activities are not balanced in terms of either cost or time, but somehow I feel that doing both would be too much.

He chose karate, not surprisingly.

And so, a couple of weeks ago, Andy had what will be our final gymnastics recital, and received the family's last gymnastic trophy. We only have nine of them now, scattered around various bookshelves, and they themselves are joined by T-ball trophies and (surprise) "music" trophies (small ceramic busts of Beethoven from the piano recital.)

Still, it's the end of an era and all that. The boys will be going back to the gym for Day Camp as early as this summer, but still.


No comments: