Thursday, April 04, 2013

Biography

Nick has to do a biography project for school.

The second phase of the project was to build a "bottle person" of the subject. Here is Nick's bottle person. Can you guess who his subject is?

Nick's Biography Project Bottle Person - 2013

No, not George Washington. Think. This is Nicholas we're talking about.

You are correct! Nick chose to do his project on J.K. Rowling. And yes, I did explain that she was an author, and not actually a student or teacher at Hogwarts, but Nick still chose the robes.

The first part of the project was to gather information on the subject. I went to the library and got out a book on J.K. Rowling, one which was written just before the Half Blood Price was printed. I skimmed it, leafing over the pages, and suggested to Nick that he read it. He looked at the cover and glanced at some of the photographs, then asked if we could look her up online.

So we looked her up online. I tried explaining that the internet is full of information and not all of it is correct. "You should make sure you find your information in two or three places if you're going to write about it," I said.

"Whatever," Nick said.

So I read Nick what we found online.

I could go into detail here about filling out the sheet of paper and the interactions that followed, but I won't. Instead, I'll just say that I now know a lot about J.K. Rowling. I know more than Nick, apparently, who doesn't seem to have retained any of the information he wrote down on his biography sheet.

Which is really too bad, because phase 3 of this biography project is an oral report. He has to stand in front of the class and talk about this person and what this person did. He also has to chose how to present using a trifold poster, a poem or song, a powerpoint presentation, a quilt, a timeline, or a trading card. Nick is choosing the trading card.

FYI, he also has to dress up as this person when he gives his presentation.

Now, I know Nick has spent hours dressed up as Harry Potter. He actually still wears the glasses around for looks, like other people wear hats or shoes. When I told his he had to dress as J.K. Rowling he had a moment of "No Way!" but the next time I brought it up he mentioned getting a wig. So... I'll take pictures.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Whoa, is it me or is that a really demanding presentation for an elementary school student? He's in the 2nd grade? Shouldn't he be learning things like how to tell time? I did something like that in the 8th grade as James Thurber and I TANKED.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Very ambitious! I can't wait to hear about the oral presentation!