Monday, November 03, 2008

Reflection

On this Election Day Eve, I want to dedicate one last post to a political message. Kind of.

On our long drive to Tennessee, my mother pointed out that a lot of my talk about Palin was not based on any factual information, but more based on reiterating the same "She's A Crazy Loony" slogan over and over again. So in the interest of being fair, and recognizing that not all of my readers share my political views, and a few do not even live in this country... I thought I would try to explain my feelings about this election in a fair manner, with no blowing things out of proportion. I said "try."

I really do dislike Palin, and I do admit that this feeling comes from my gut. After all, about the only thing we have in common are certain anatomical similarities. (We are both female.) Aside from the fact that I detest the idea of beauty queens ( and part of me really does), I disagree with her on practically every issue. I want to support scientific advancement both in the medical community and in our schools. I want to protect this planet earth we live in. I want the right to make decisions about my own body, my own birth control, and my own health care. I do not have faith in Palin's knowledge of international affairs or economic affairs. The fact that McCain chose this person as a running mate, to fufill a position where she might have to run this country in a time of crisis, shows me that he (or his party, if you want to look at it that way) has very little respect for the people of this nation. Maybe she is just a "soccer mom." But the truth is, I don't know any soccer moms I want running this country, either. Nor would I trust anyone who feels this is a wise choice.

That said, I understand that not everyone agrees with me. I don't understand why or how, but that's not the point. Everyone is entitled to her opinion.

I am a very lucky person. I have more than enough food. I have a home to live in and a bed to sleep in and we are able to keep it reasonably warm. I feel safe because I have health care and if anything happens to one of us, we can expect to afford care. I can say what I like and express my loony political opinions as I like, and worship as I like, and this country lets me do it. And after the election, all this will stil be true, no matter who wins. Red or Blue, Right or Wrong. I plan on voting with my heart and my mind and making the choice that I believe best reflects the person I would like to be. That is a right I have that not every person has.

3 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Very well said.

Anne-E. said...

Yes.

Jamie said...

Booya! Now go out and vote!