Monday, December 27, 2010

Recovery

After Christmas, there is a certain amount of time to be dedicated to recovery.

From what, you ask?

Well, first and foremost, for me, was lack of sleep. I've been stressed enough over the past week about gifts, but also about cleaning my house for Steve's family Christmas Eve. Every year they gather here and bring food and we do a gift swap. Why I stress about my home is beyond me - it's hardly ever THAT bad, and these people are family. But I do. I wash windows and mop the floors and wonder where the strange smell in the bathroom is coming from, and then it turns out I've done it too early and have to do it all over again the morning of...

Anyway, I hadn't been sleeping well, and the Nick woke everyone up at 4am Christmas morning. So I needed to catch up on some Zzzz's.

This morning I worked out. See, last week, with so many holiday concerts (see Andy's photo above) and gift swaps and extra little things to do, I just stopped. And I'd also been eating so, so much more than usual. Pumpkin bread and cookies and cupcakes and cheese, and other kinds of cheese, and then some nuts, and then more cheese, and then just one more cupcake before bed. And maybe another nibble of this pumpkin bread. Well, now there's just a little bit left, it would be silly to just leave that on the plate. Here, let me wash it down with this pitcher of cream.

Soooo.... yeah..... This morning I hopped back on the treadmill, and also the bathroom scale (ugh!) and we'll be getting back to what I call "regulated eating," or what normal people call "not eating cookies for breakfast."

Then there's the house.. Decorations are still up, but I have put away a lot of gifts already, including clothing. Today we found homes for new toys. Wrapping paper and boxes have been put to new use, recycled, or stored in my "box closet," which is where I put things like wrapping paper, empty picture frames, and Steve's dress shirts.

Slowly, we are getting back to normal. This snowstorm will not help, I'm sure. But still... we're getting there.

No comments: