Friday, January 28, 2011

Insanity For Youth?

This morning it snowed. Not a lot, just a little.

Snow can mess up my whole day. If you only have one thing to do, such as make it to school, or make it to work, then you don't know what I'm talking about.

But I had to get Nick on the school bus in the morning, and then head on over to the Library for Story Hour sign-ups. This is time sensitive because the library opens at 9am, but parents begin standing in line as early as 8:15 for the limited spaces (and because a few of them need to get to work and want to get out as early as possible.) Then I had to get Andy and Nate to their Gymnastics class at a little after 10am.

My car made it up the driveway, which was nice, because our driveway is steep, and even if it snows a little I can get stuck.

But I made it out, so I figured the rest of the morning would go smoothly.

It didn't.

I think of traffic jams as things that happen to Other People. People crazy enough to live or work in or near big cities. I do neither of those things. And yet, as I pulled out onto the major road in our little town, I realized it was full of cars. And those cars were not moving.

The highway had backed up traffic for miles. After ten minutes of waiting and then trying to reach the library via an alternate route, I found out the back roads leading to the one road that takes you to the highway were also backed up. It took me 45 minutes to get to the Library.

As I sat in traffic, watching drivers move slowly so they wouldn't slide into other cars, knowing that most of the people were running late for work, I thought "I must be crazy! Why as I sitting in the traffic just for a stupid Story Hour? I should turn around and go home."

Then I thought, "All of the other parents heading to Story Hour registration have probably turned around and gone home. Or they are also running late."

And then I thought, "Maybe that means I can still get a good number!"

Stubborn, crazy me. I did it.

There was traffic, and everyone was caught in it. I managed to register for Story Hour and get the boys to Gymnastics with no problem. (Except my car wouldn't make it up the driveway the second time, so I had to put the car seat in Steve's car and drive that.) Yes, it would have been easier and probably safer to just stay home. Chalk it up to my insanity.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Hooray, Fleen!! You nut.