Thursday, February 17, 2011

And Better Than Ever!

I'm Back!

After all this time (days and days!) I'm surprised if anyone is still checking in. Please forgive me.

See, I was totally knocked out either by this stomach bug or food poisoning or something. I was up almost all night on Sunday. I'll just say I wasn't throwing up or anything, and that's all the detail you'll get on that part except to say that I have never experienced anything like this before in my life, and at one point after a few sleepless hours I became alarmed I was getting too dehydrated. Which was serious because Steve was away on a trip, and I was alone with the boys, and if I passed out or died there would be no one to feed them and they would wander out into the street and get hit by a car. (note: it's far more likely that they would just turn on the TV and play their hand held video game devices for hours.)

Naturally and logically, I decided to measure my dehydration by stepping on the bathroom scale. I lost four pounds that night. On my frame, this is kind of a lot. Oddly, I kept thinking that maybe, just maybe, I would feel well enough in the morning to hop on the treadmill for a five mile run.

I did not.

The next few days were a blur. Not only could I not run on the treadmill (I didn't try) I got tired walking down the stairs. I was reluctant to eat anything. And I was running a fever. A low fever, but still. Whaaa. Poor me.

So here I was with the boys, shuffling to get them to school and get them fed and all that. And an amazing thing happened: I got almost everything done that I needed to get done. Well, except laundry. But I relaxed about getting Nick out the door in time for the bus, thinking I would just drive him to school if he missed it. And he didn't miss it. I remembered to send the boys to school with valentines and remembered to bring in ice-cream for Nate's school party. When the boys were at school I slept. When it was time for Andy's nap I slept and let Nate play video games. When Nick got home we did piano practice, slowly. We did homework, quietly. And then I put on a Sesame Street video and slowly made supper - chicken and rice. I ate the rice.

Bit by bit I became human again. And yesterday afternoon I bounded down the stairs after putting away two loads of laundry feeling on top of the world! I have never felt better in my life! It had been years since I've felt so ALIVE!

Of course, this morning I went for my five mile run, and afterwards I noticed that I had pain shooting through the muscles in my legs. Which I think means I am still a little dehydrated. It's a process.

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Wow! I had no idea, but am happy to hear you are felling better. No wonder you sounded a little subdued last night! But fear not! Chicken Furry is on the way to your mother's & perhaps, one of your brothers will return her to you on their next trip up north.

Susan's Losin' said...

I'm so sorry you were sick. I had the same thing in Memphis while talking care of our grandsons. I call it my near death experience! I didn't bounce back as quickly as you did, perhaps because of my age?:) Anyway, I hope I am never that sick again, ever.