Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Oil

This morning we woke up to a cold house.

I figured I had run around the night before and turned the heat in all the rooms down. I do that sometimes, especially after I watch or read certain ecological or environmental articles or documentaries.

But I hadn't. Instead, we had simply run out of heating fuel.

See, we have oil heat. And the oil heats water, which runs in pipes to heat our home and also to give us hot water. But the oil needs to be delivered. A truck usually comes by every few weeks and blocks our driveway while a guy drags a huge hose over to the side of the home. The dog barks for 10 minutes straight, once breaking a window in his fury.

But the guy hadn't come by for over a month.

It's the kind of thing we should have noticed, but didn't.

And so we were caught with no heat or hot water.

Of course this is Sunday.

Steve was able to get someone to come by with a few gallons, but not what we usually use, and nothing that would last more than a couple of days. So we turned down all the heat. No washing dishes (which just means a sink of dirty dishes) and no baths (until after I run tomorrow, when I shall shower.)

I hope the real delivery guy comes tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Stay warm! Not the best day not to have heat. It got cold tonight!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Wow! You'll need all the heating oil & wood for the fireplace you can get. It's heading down into negative numbers around here I can' only imagine you'll be sub-Acrtic! Everyone, including the animals, in the same bed til the thaw!!!