Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ankle

Quick update on my stupid ankle tendons.

I went and got fitted for orthopedic inserts. These are basically really expensive shoe inserts, like Dr. Scholl's, only they cost $60, and the nice lady who watched we walk around first fitted them to my foot using a really strong heat gun (like a hair dryer but stronger.)

I learned a few things. For one thing, she can feel the difference in my good and bad tendons without even reaching my famous lump. My left tendon is "ropey." Also, I have to start stretching now, even if the swelling hasn't gone down, or my tendon will bind to my bone and I'll hurt myself again as soon as I start running again.

Also, I learned that flip flops and sandals have no support (she sees an increase of people coming in with injuries in the summer) so stay away from the Old Navy $2 flips.

Finally, the biggest shocker for me... avoid going barefoot! Here I was thinking that I was fine as long as I kicked off the 1.5" heels as soon as I got home, but it turns out being barefoot, or wearing slippers, is just as bad. Sneakers with support are best, and mules are no good because they have no support in the back of the ankle.

Seriously? It's finally warming up and I'm going to have to wear sneakers all summer? I don't think so. No way. This thing better fix itself fast, because one of the many plus sides of summer is hardly wearing shoes. I'm not pulling on smelly sneakers every day! Not a chance!

Pooh on this stupid ankle injury. It's really become a pain in the you know.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Just wear them as long as you have to or you will be wearing orthopedic sneakers! Also try a pair of Merrell's; they have great support & are reasonably priced! They also have some cute summer styles!