Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Hike

After our day at StoryLand and our night at the Best Hotel Ever, I forced the family to to go to Franconia Notch State Park. 

The truth is, all I'd wanted to do was take the boys on this hike, and then Nate won the StoryLand tickets, so the trip turned into an overnight and got all amusement parkish. But this was the one thing I had wanted to do all summer, and I was going to do it, gosh darn it!

So we piled the boys into the car and began the drive across the mountains that sit in between StoryLand and the State Park. After ten minutes I told the boys I was taking away their DS things so they would look up and pay attention to the scenery. There was a little grumbling and some frowns, but they did it.

Then we went to Flume Gorge. We did a 2 mile hike to see some waterfalls (amazing!). Nate, Andy and I wedged ourselves through a narrow opening through some rocks, and we saw glacial boulders. We then drove up to Cannon Mountain and took a tram up to the top. There was a short hike up there to the observation deck - it was cold. I was glad I remembered sweatshirts. The views were amazing.

This was my favorite part of the summer. I was so, so happy to be walking in the clouds, and to be showing all of it to my kids.








1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Gorgeous! And it's always a successful trip when the kids pass out at the end!