Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Worst Run Ever

Earlier this week I thought it might be a good idea to take the kids biking along a trail in our town.

I'd done this before, with Andy on trike, and it was miserable because the boys were wobbling all over the place, and Andy's trike was broken and not very fast. But this time they were all on bikes. Andy just got a new bike with training wheels and was very excited to try it out. Also, I needed to go for a run, so I thought they could ride, I could run, and we would all get a work out, some fresh air, and be happy.

Not so much.

First of all, Andy was not very interested in... speed. Nick and Nate took off down the trail, until they were little blips, and then waited responsibly. Andy, on the other had, reminded me more of the Muppets on Bikes, going so slowly one is amazed they have the necessary balance to stay upright. I was hoping to run, but I wasn't running. Even walking, I had to keep stopping to let Andy catch up. Finally I started jogging and then turning back, running circles around him as he slowly inched forward.

By the end of the run, Andy had gotten the hang of it. He was going fast enough that I didn't have to double back, and all was well.

But my stupid GPS tracker thing didn't get my doubling back. It just recorded that I ran very, very slowly. I burned 200 calories in 40 minutes, and apparently at some point ran through the middle of the pond.

All told, and GPS malfunctions aside, I think it was a good run, and I'd be willing to do it again, now that Andy has gotten the hang of it.

No comments: