Monday, October 22, 2012

Ahhhhhh!

I love my kids.

When I start out a post with "I love my kids" then you know I'm probably going to complain about them.

I love my kids.

I love it right after bath because when I wrap them up in a towel they let me cuddle and hug them, just like when they were very little.

I love tucking them in at night because they hug me back. And also, I know they're going to be sleeping soon.

What gets me - and I don't know if other parents have this problem - but what gets me is the constant... the someone always needing... the... MAHHHM!

This is how it works. I come down and the kids are doing something. They don't need me. I start to do something, like pack school lunches. Suddenly the kids start fighting, or screaming. Or someone starts calling me "Mom! Mom! Maaaahhhm!"

When I need the boys to do something, say get dressed for school, or put on shoes to catch the school bus, I am required to follow them around, announcing every step. When I do, the boys get irritated. "I KNOW!" Who could blame them. I would get irritated, too. But if I don't, the things don't get done.

"Where are your shoes?"

"I forgot!"

"Do you have your library book?"

"You didn't remind me!"

Because reminding them at breakfast and writing out a schedule that says "Friday - Library Book!" is not enough.

The thing that really irritates me, though, the one I mentioned first... is the yelling. The "Mom!" thing.

Because as soon as I walk away, as soon as I start doing something, as soon as I step into the shower or sit down at the computer or begin a phone conversation - the calling begins.

They don't really need me. They just want me to be there.

I am annoyed.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Ha ha ha ha! You'll miss it when they go off to college!