Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Buzz

Thursday was hot. I am quite sure I mentioned that.

So that afternoon I decided to take the boys outside and plug in the sprinkler. What could be better than a little water for two cranky boys in 90 degree heat?

I went through the whole process of getting Sprinkler-ready. Swimsuits, sunscreen, hats. I plugged in the sprinkler. I dragged it into the middle of the lawn. I turned it on. The boys were moments from running into the water when suddenly Nicholas screamed.

Nick screams a lot, but this was a real scream. This was a full of pain and panic scream. And Then I saw the bee flying around and I realized what had happened. "Oh, Honey!" I said, reaching for him. "Did the bee sting you?" And then I felt a sharp pinch, just as I heard the buzz, of something angry right on the underarm flesh of my right arm.

Of course I screamed, in surprise and then in fear, because there were more than a few bees buzzing about at this point, and I realized that the nest must be close to where we were standing, and that the bees were angry, and that we needed to get away NOW.

I swept a screaming Nick up in one arm(the stung one) and a screaming and indignant Nathan up in the other (he was just about to HAVE FUN!) and headed up the steps to the porch, Gunther hot on my heels and barking. When I put Nick down to open the door I glanced down and saw Gunther with both paws over his nose, a Yellow Jacket firmly planted between his paws, wings spread.

It turns out we have a huge nest in the ground right next to the sandbox. I caught the wasps as they went in and out. I tried using wasp spray, but the can was almost empty, so now I need more. Until then, I just don't feel comfortable taking the boys outside.

Nick is fine - his sting was on his chest, and looks ok. My underarm has a HUGE pink welt on it that itches constantly. Gunther's nose is fine.

But those Yellow Jackets... I not only want them dead, I want them to suffer. They can build their nest on the other end of the property - there is plenty of room - but stay AWAY from where my kids play.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Yikes!! That's scary. Hope it doesn't hurt much longer. And it's agreed, let the little buggers suffer

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Ow! Ow! Ow! I HATE bees, wasps, & all their stinger-bearing relatives. Spawn of Satan! Beelzebub with Wings! Die! Die! Die!...of course, the honey bees can stay.

Jules said...

Oh No! Glad everyone is okay! And yes, down with the yellow-jackets. They are just mean-looking. and I loved absolutely love the fervor in your voice when you spoke about the evil stingers...you hurt my babies, you will die. Go super mom, GO! Love you!