Sunday, May 03, 2009

Flea Market

Yesterday Steve and Lillian took the boys to a flea market. I am, for the most part, a supporter of flea markets and yard sales and second-hand stores. After all, it's the most basic form of recycling, right? Reuse items that can be reused instead of throwing them away. The only problem is, I spend most of my time trying to find ways to wade through the junk we already have. The last time we went to this particular flea market, Steve purchased a stuffed monkey in a space suit that shook and said a few phrases which were funny the first time I heard them.

The boys came back with armloads of 'new' toys. A stuffed Elmo (we only had three), a toy phone (we only had 36), a toy I know we already had two of because they came in a Burger King Kid's Meal, and a loud beeping talking robot. Steve was excited about the robot, which he acquired for only a dollar. The robot says "I am VoiceBot, your robot warrior. What is your command?" And ths boys shout a command, such as "Shoot Missles" or "Transform!" and the robot says "Please repeat command." And the boys shout "Transform!" and the robot says "Please repaet command." And this can go back and forth a few hundred times before the robot FREAKS OUT and beeps and blinks and honks and needs to be turned off so it will shut up. Sometimes the robot will actually move forward a few inches, and Nate can turn it into something that I think is supposed to be a vehicle. The boys LOVE the robot. "Isn't it great?" they kept asking me.

I guess I didn't act thrilled enough, because Nicholas finally came up to me and said "Mom, it's not just a transformer, it's a Robot Lawyer!"

Warrior, Lawyer.... I'm thinking a robot Lawyer might not be such a bad deal.

2 comments:

g. fox said...

I wonder if this is Emily's influence...

JM said...

Hahahaha...I love this post.