Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Green Foot... AGAIN

This year I gave myself the lofty goal of planting a vegetable garden. Not a huge vegetable garden, mind you. I'm not much of a gardener, so I only planted a couple of things. A few flowers (I know they aren't vegetables, but they're pretty), some tomatoes, and some beans. I pictured myself picking beans and tomatoes from neat rows of plants and setting them on the table for my family. Somehow this pleased me. It just seemed RIGHT.

Well, I planted the seeds. A couple of weeks ago. As directed on the packages. And so far... nothing. Well, the tomatoes have sprouted... something. I planted them indoors, as directed. It looks like three of the twenty four plants took. Which doesn't mean they'll live.

I ran out to check on the beans when I got back from Florida, expecting little green sprouts in the rows I planted them in. Instead the ground was bare. Only a few blades of grass and a leafy weed I know is not a bean (or a flower, for that matter) peeped through the rocky soil... until I saw a couple of beans sitting there, just on top of the dirt, little sprouts peeping out.

Now, I planted these things at least two inches down. I think what happened was that it rained, and the dirt washed away, and a lot of the beans washed away. I looked at the rock border, and it's almost buried in dirt. When I weeded, I took away the structure holding the dirt in place.

So now what's going to happen is that I'll get a nice, thick patch of beans mixed with flowers RIGHT at the FOOT of the back porch stairs, and the vegetable patch will be bare.

Why can't I just live on flat earth?

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

You & everyone else in the 15th Century except Columbus & Muslim scholars!