Tuesday, July 06, 2010

4th of July

I have to admit, the 4th of July has never been a big holiday with me. Aside from the historical and musical aspects, that is. These days people seem to celebrate by sitting outside in the sun and the heat, and then waiting and waiting until dark to see fireworks. As an adult, I don't usually get excited by fireworks. I think they mostly look the same, and they are loud, and it takes to long to get dark for them, and the pets get freaked out, and also, I'm usually in bed.So when Steve suggested we go to the boat for the 4th, with the boys, to hang out and see some fireworks, my first thought was Ahhhhhhh! Because quite honestly, the boat is not relaxing for me. Especially with three boys who can't swim and who think the whole purpose of the boat is to go above and below deck as many times as possible, and also they keep needing to take off and put on life jackets, and hitting each other over the head with the fishing rods and the fish hooks and the sea worms and.... you do the math.
But something surprising happened. I had a wonderful time! My Uncle Ken was there, so I got to spend some time with him. The kids were surprisingly non-violent and calm. We did a little fishing and the fireworks... well, they were amazing.
The sunset wasn't so bad, either.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm glad you had a good 4th and that you got to spend it with Uncle Ken! And you got some amazing photographs out of it too!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Wow! Those are some great photos! You'd better blow up a few & give them out as Christmas presents!!