Tuesday, July 13, 2010

lose-lose situation

Nathan was sick. He kept throwing up, not constantly, not seriously, but this lasted more than a week. And although he was spending time playing, and didn't have a fever, and wasn't dehydrated, it was a whole week, and he was in such pain when he did get sick.

When things like this happen, I don't know what to do. If I call the doctor, I feel like I am over reacting to a little tummy trouble. He doesn't have a fever. He isn't dehydrated. What do I expect them to do? Give it time, he'll get over it. I am wasting my time, the doctor's time, and the co-pay. Also, I'm scarring my child by dragging him into the doctor when he isn't sick.

But if I don't take him in, I'm a horrible parent, also. He's been sick for over a WEEK! He's in pain. There could be something wrong. He might need medication. He could have a tumor. I should have taken him in last week!

Of course I took him in. And of course the doctor said it was a stomach bug, and to give it a little more time. Which we did, and he's been fine. I just... I wish I didn't go to extremes with things like this, issues involving my children. I wish there were real, right and wrong answers. Because who's to say that the woman who drags her kid to the doctor every time he has a runny nose doesn't go back and forth the same way I do? Ditto the mom who sends her kids to school with a double ear infection. I would judge them harshly, but to them, it may just be the flip of a coin.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Your "mommy antennae" were buzzing and you acted. Hope little Nate is feeling better.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

O, Nato-Potato, I hope you're running around now right as rain!