Thursday, July 08, 2010

Setting Myself Up


I have a lot of brilliant ideas.

For example, to encourage the kids to behave and do certain chores, such at put their dirty clothing in the hamper and brush their teeth without my nagging them, I give them stickers for each task completed. Once they have a certain number of stickers, they get a prize.

This means I not only get to decide the magic number of stickers, but the prize. Last time I chose 100 stickers, and the prize was a $10 gift card to Toys R Us, which quickly turned into just $10 at the store, because why would I pay for the cards when we were obviously going to use them that day? And it turned out that they reached 100 stickers a lot sooner than I thought they would.

So this time I made the prize something big. Really big. A trip to Santa's Village! Which is a little like cheating because I had been planning on going there anyway. I WANT to take the kids there. This summer. It's in my Overall Plan.

The trouble is, I set the goal at 300 stickers. 300 is a lot more than 100.

So now I'm realizing that, at the current rate, we might not make it to 300 stickers this summer. And I've resorted to handing out extra stickers for things like "not complaining during our trip to the store" or "going to get me that diaper." Which wasn't really the point.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Is this why they seem to be plucking feathers from chicken parts in this picture? How many points is that worth? And are they also responsible for the pin feathers? They are concentrating mighty hard, except for Nick who seems to be supervising. You do set the bar high, Mom!