Thursday, March 10, 2011

More Mice

The mice are back.

See, they went away for awhile. I caught four of them, I think, and then the mousetraps were empty. And they stayed empty for days. So I took the mousetraps and put them away.

But then, the other day, I found mouse poops in the drawer. And also, those little spatuls thingies I use to get the last of the peanut butter out of the jar were nibbled to the stub. And little red plastic shavings were everywhere.

So I put the mousetraps up again.

And then next day there was a mouse. And I let it go down in the woods, past the shed.

And then days went by with no mouse. So I forgot about it, until this afternoon.

This afternoon I was going to once again remove the mousetraps and live, happy and secure in the knowledge that our home was mouse-free.

But one of the mousetraps was closed (empty), and my ice-cream scoop with he rubber handle was gnawed.

So the mice have been around, but not falling into my traps.

Nick says it's because the mice have figured out that they are traps. I think the traps may not be working the way they are supposed to be working. Or, based on the mouse poops I found in a different cabinet, they are in the wrong place.

I have baited the mouse traps with mouse bait AND peanut butter, and have set them up in new locations. I'm hoping these work. But I am very close to getting the poison ones, simply because I hate setting the stupid mice free.

Seriously, you can open the trap and wait for it to climb out, but it won't. It will cling to the inside of that plastic box like glue. You have to SHAKE it out. And honestly, I feel like I'm killing the mice anyway, setting them out in the cold, in the snow, with crows and hawks and foxes out there.

No comments: