Thursday, March 31, 2011

Andy's Teeth

Andrew had his first visit to the dentist this morning.

The practice of dentistry has changed since I was a kid. This is probably a good thing, considering all the advancements in technology. I'd hate to think they were still doing things the way they were 30 years ago. But still, some of it takes me by surprise.

Nick, for example, had two of his molars sealed. I don't know exactly what this is. They paint the teeth with varnish and then use a special flashlight thingy to heat it up and dry it. This is supposed to prevent decay somehow. Which is strange, I thought that's what brushing and flossing did.

Checking in, the receptionist did not hand me a clipboard with copies of a form. Instead, she handed me an actual tablet computer, and I filled the form out electronically myself. It went right into the system, including my signatures on all those privacy practice forms and the ones telling me about the kinds of fillings they use.

Andrew has to go back next week. I might have mentioned this before, but they don't like to clean teeth on the first visit. They poke around and ask questions, and then schedule a cleaning for two weeks later. If you ask me, this is a stupid practice and a waste of time, but that's the way they do it. I have no idea why.

Andy had a great time. He listened, he opened wide, and he even let them try to take x-rays, even though only 2 of them worked because his mouth was too small for the ones on the side.

When the actual dentist showed up he said "Hello! Can I take a look at your teeth?"

Andy just stood there, not saying anything. Then we realized he was opening his mouth, showing the dentist his teeth. From across the room.

1 comment: