Monday, September 12, 2011

Real, Pretend, Real, Pretend

When I got my iPad a litle over a year ago, I also suddenly had the ability to acquire games.

I am not really a video game person. I don't have the skill or the patience for arcade games, games where you shoot someone, games that have lots of levels, or where you have to practice leaping from one teeny tiny block to another teeny tiny block without falling over and over and over until you get it right.

But the iPad has lots of short, easy, time killing games available, and many of them are just the right thing for the ten minutes spent on the Kindergarten pick-up line, or waiting for Karate class or Piano lesson to be over. Or to play when Steve gets to pick the TV show and it's Top Gear.

A few times a year there is a sale, and a game costs a dollar, and I tend to then purchase games without doing a lot of research.

This past time around I got a game called Nanny! You are the little Nanny person, see? And you go into a messy house full of kids, and sometimes a baby, and you have to clean the house and put things to rights and then put the kids to bed by a certain time. Each item that has to be cleaned is outlined in red, and when you clean it the little Nanny Person looks like she's scrubbing, and there is all this suds. Even if she is just making a bed or cleaning a sofa. The house has to be clean before the kids go to bed, and the kids do their very best to make a mess, walking around and throwing things on the floor and kicking things wich need to be cleaned a second time.

It took me halfway through the second level to figure out that I didn't need the game at all. I could just return to my real life.


2 comments:

Debs said...

There are actually lots of hilarious episodes of Top Gear! Sophia's learning to appreciate watching them with me. She gets excited that it's the brummm brummm program!

Debs said...

...and having read to the end of the post... oh i'm so learning about that tidy and having it undone again 2 minutes later. Sophia is an expert at that!