Thursday, September 29, 2011

Titanic Returns

Remember how I posted about Andy's infatuation with the Titanic? He toted these library books around and would leaf through pages of illustrations of dead men in life jackets, floating in frozen water. He showed these books to everyone - the Karate teacher, his gymnastics teacher, the lady at church. It was kinda weird.

The other night the reality of the Titanic hit Andy. He ran into the Living Room while we were watching TV saying he had a nightmare about the Titanic. It had only been 15 minutes since I'd tucked him in, so I'm pretty sure he just couldn't stop thinking about it. Andy was frightened and almost crying. I'm guessing that the reality of it hit him all of a sudden, and he's just too young to handle it.

Bad mom.

So I took the books away from him, something he's not entirely happy about. I told him he just needed to think about something else for a little while. He still talks about Titanic during the daytime, but at least he's not leafing through those illustrations.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Aww I hate that it scared him so much, but it's amazing that he can even conceptually wrap his head around something like that. Maybe he'll be a history buff later in life.

g. fox said...

this same exact thing happened to me with TITANIC (I was obsessed) and then with Pompeii. don't let the poor kid look at those mummified dogs. and give him a hug from me!

you are not a bad mother at all.. he's just intellectually curious. a hugely great sign!