Thursday, September 06, 2012

Kitchen

I may have mentioned this in passing.

We are getting our kitchen redone.

Why, you ask? Why would you do that? Didn't you just go on and on about buying things you don't need and all that?

Yes. Yes I did.

But I have my heart set on a new kitchen. You see, the kitchen cabinets do not make me happy. They are painted white, and are scratched and chipping. The knobs fall off. The drawers rub together and sawdust snows down onto the dishes and pot and pans below. There is a gap between the cooktop and the counter and grease and water drip inside and fall into the drawers beneath. The oven and microwave are attached, and the microwave part stopped working years ago. The self-cleaning function on the oven has ceased to function. The lighting in the kitchen is terrible.

And so...

So Steve called a guy who got this nice lady to draw us up a new kitchen. Not only a new kitchen that would fix all those above things, but that would also give me a bigger window, more space between the fridge and the counter, more workspace, a bigger laundry room...

How could you say no?

All we need to do in return is give up our kitchen for 6 weeks, live with banging and dust for a bit, and decide which of our children to trade in order to afford new cabinets.

It starts in a couple of days. Today's goal is to create a makeshift kitchen in another room. Tomorrow's goal is to make a few things to stick in the freezer, so we can microwave a few hot things to eat during the whole process.

And then all I have to do is be patient and hope the outcome is worth the pain.

I'm 50% dread and 50% excitement at the moment.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Hooray! How exciting! I can't wait to see the finished product!