Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Too Much Information

A notice came home from the school informing parents that a child at the school has been diagnosed with Whooping Cough. I mean, what is this, 1950?

All I knew about Whooping Cough was that there is a vaccination for it, and that, when you get it, you cough, and your cough makes a whooping sound.

So I looked it up.

It turns out that being vaccinated does not, actually, mean you can't get it. In this case, you actually have to get a lot of boosters, and even then...

Also, there are three stages to Whooping Cough.  The first stage, which lasts about two weeks, is like a bad cold. The actual whooping cough part is the second stage. So two weeks could go by where you think you just have a cold, or your kid has a cold and you're sending him to school anyway, thinking "sheesh, it's just a cold, we can't stay home for a cold!" and then, Hey! Whooping Cough!

Actually, I think there's a fever that should tip you off, but still...

I should never be allowed to research illnesses.

Last night I went on Web MD Symptom checker and typed in Fatigue. I got a couple of kinds of cancer, mumps, and nutritional deficiencies before "lack of sleep" popped up.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Never look up symptoms -- it's too dangerous! You'll end up with something deadly!