Sunday, September 09, 2012

The Thing With Cats

The other day one of my FaceBook friends posted a picture of kittens that are, apparently, up for adoption. They really were cute little things, huge ears, humongous eyes, and just so sweet looking. It's almost enough to win me over, make me forget myself, and say "Gimme Gimme Gimme!"

But I have two cats already. And they are a world of trouble.

As I am pretty sure I mentioned, Puck is diabetic, and requires an insulin injection twice daily. He also needs Thyroid meds twice a day, 3/4 of a really tiny pill which I need to break into bits slightly larger than dust specks and enclose in a pill pocket, special treats designed specifically to trick pets into taking pills.

That's a handful. As is the fact that Puck needs special food and Frank, the other cat, gets a little uppity with there being no wet food in HIS bowl...

For some time now, one of the cats has been peeing outside of the box.

Not on the rug, not in some other location, but right outside the front of the box. It's like the cat climbs in, but misses. I place a rubber mat there, to catch the bits of cat litter before they get tracked all over the house. And at least once a day I lift it, very carefully, because it is full of cat pee. It always overflows and gets underneath the box itself, so I need to clean the floor, the underside of the box, and whatever mat or cloth I managed to place under the box because this has been going on for so long I have been trying everything!.

I have to admit, in my lowest moments I often think about taking Puck to the vet and having him put down. I mean, the medication, the crazy feeding arrangements, and the now the pee? It's just too much. I can't take it any more.

The thing is, I was never 100% sure Puck was the one peeing outside the box. It's just that he's been the one with all of the issues. What if I had him put down and it wasn't even him? Also, he doesn't seem to be in any pain, so I don't feel it's right.

With the kitchen getting redone, and the laundry room, I have moved all of the pat things around. The dog food and the water bowl are also moved to the dining room. The cats are getting fed in all different places. And the litter box has been moved into the bathroom.

I was worried about this, because of the pee issue. I'm a little fed up with pee issues. See, I live in a house full of boys, and apparently they all have terrible aim. I mean, TERRIBLE. Actually, I think they are all just in a gigantic hurry, and as soon as they think they are done, they begin to move away from the toilet, but the last few drops of pee always seems to hit the floor in front of the toilet. You know, the place where my feet, as a woman who sits down, would go. 

Oh, we're all kinds of bathroom issues. closing the door is one thing. There is no modesty, as became painfully away during Nick's Sleepover, when a little boy was looking at me, wide eyed, asking about a place he could change into his PJ's, as Nate was running down the hall naked shouting "Whoohoo! Whoohoo!"

This lack of modesty is why the door was open when Nick was using the bathroom yesterday, and why I heard him shout "Mom! Mom! Come quick!" I ran in to see Nick using the bathroom, sitting on the toilet. And in front of him was Frank, who apparently had also felt the need. His tail was sticking out of the littler box opening, and a stream of pee was hitting the mat behind him. 

"Caught!" I shouted, hitting the side of the litter box. Frank flipped out - no really, he jumped straight into the air and flipped around - then dashed out of the bathroom,  cat interrupted.

So now that mystery is solved. I know who is doing the deed.

But this morning, as I was carefully carrying the pee on the mat across the room to dispose of it, I realized it didn't matter. We STILL have no idea how to get him to stop. I just have a target for my anger and frustration. Which doesn't matter. Because I can yell at him and scold him all I want. He just looks at me and meows a "Feed Me!"

Bratty Cat. 


1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

No! Not Frank! I can't believe it! There must be something wrong...or he just wants attention. But just ask the vet in case.