Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Movie Night Critic

So far, we've successfully implemented 3 movie nights. 

The last person who got the choose was Andy. I was kind of worried about Andy, because he's really easy to influence. When he first found out he was next to choose, he picked Atlantis, which we've all seen a billion times very recently. Then he changed him mind and said "Harry Potter Two," which I knew wasn't his choice - let's face it. Nick's the Harry Potter fan. I pictured Nick whispering into Andy's ear, and Andy making that choice to please. 

I also happen to think Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (otherwise known as Harry Potter Two) is a bit scarier than the first one. And I said so, out loud, to all three of the boys.

Which brings us to Friday, Movie Night.

Andy said he changed his mind again. He wanted to watch Harry Potter One (The Sorcerer's Stone) instead. Never mind that we'd watched it together two weeks earlier. Never mind that, since then, Nate's been popping it in every weekend morning, and non-school night. They must have seen it 14 times in as many days. I wouldn't be surprised.

This is when I myself intervened, and had the following conversation with Andy / Myself. "You know," I said, "You could also watch movies you haven't seen before. We could watch... "
 Oh, no! What can he watch? Quick, think of something! 
"Um,  a Disney thing we haven't seen... Or something from the library...." 
OK, that's Pokemon and a lot of bad Scooby Doo cartoons! Think! Think! Something decent! What did you watch when you were little? 
"Superman - we could watch Superman."

We watched Superman.

The original. Well, the 1978 version. The one I watched when I was little.

I haven't seen that movie in a long time. It's hard to watch, now, knowing what happened to Christopher Reeve. But it was the first movie that ever made me cry (when he leves his mother), and I know we used to love it. 

Or, maybe we just used to run around singing the Theme song and pretending to fly. But whatever. I thought the boys might be interested.

And guess what - Andy choose it.

It actually took two nights to watch it, because at 9PM the first night Nick had already fallen asleep and there was still an hour left of the film. The second night had all the action - the bombs, the kryptonite, the flying around,  the rocks, the earthquakes... 

Steve and I discussed Lois Lane, and why she was so irritating and, well, not smart for a snappy woman reporter. We also talked about that part where Superman flies around Earth until it spins backwards, reversing time, which is just so totally unbelievable I can't really get past it.

But we all had fun, I think.

When it was finally done, I said, "Thank you, Andy, for choosing that movie. What did you guys think of it."

Nick said "Good." One word.

Nate said it was good, but scary. You might be surprised, but he's often the one who can't sleep because he's scared of something from a book or movie. 

Andy was enthusiastic. "Yes! I loved that movie! I give it One Star!"

He's tough, that one.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

That boy has a future in media criticism! I give him 5 stars!