Friday, February 22, 2008

Ferhoodled

Yesterday Nick had gymnastics.

We were a little late getting started to the gym because Nathan threw a fit and removed his coat once I explained we were going to Gymnastics for Nicholas, and not Chuck E. Cheese's. Then he got angry because Nicholas was wearing the hat he wanted and tried removing it. Nicholas began crying because his ear almost got ripped off.

Once we got TO the gym I rushed us upstairs and started taking off coats and hats, and this is when Nick said he had to use the bathroom. He said it twice, which meant NOW, so I pulled us all into the small bathroom space, unable to close the door because of the carrier blocking the way. Nick went, and then I asked Nate if he wanted to go and he said yes. So I helped him up on the toilet, then I helped Nick take his shoes and sweatshirt off, and sent him out to find his teacher. I turned in time to help Nathan divert MOST of his pee into the toilet, although he did have a small, funny stain on the back of his pants the rest of the time we were there. Before I could get Nate's diaper back on Nicholas started screaming "MOMMY!"

Apparently the teachers had come upstairs, collected their classes, and then left for the main gym. And Nicholas has been in the bathroom. He was very upset. He wouldn't stop crying. Even when I told him it was no big deal, that we'd all walk down there with him. He cried until his teacher walked over to us and picked him up, carrying him to the rest of the class.

The rest of the class was fine. But I have to wonder about these small moments when I can't seem to pay enough attention to any one boy. The chaos can be unbearable. Small, short spaces of chaos. The are enough to unravel hours of peace and happiness.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I don't know what to say. But I want to gather you all up in my arms & hug you til everyone stops crying/chuffing/hyperventilating. It is daunting that mommies are the stop-gap bwn/life as we know it & all chaos. Remind me again why men rule the world?

PS Love "ferhoodled" -- Pennsy Dutch derivation! Try "grezty" or "gretzing" too!