Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Loosing The Battle


It's sometimes hard to figure out what to write about on this blog. Let's Face it. While busy, many days are a well worn cycle of rushing around, doing errands, doing laundry, making the same meals and feeding the same kids. Which is why so many of my posts sound like: This morning we made toast and Nick spilled his milk and now we're out of paper towels.

Yesterday was not one of these days. Yesterday was one of those OTHER days, where every time I turned around I found something that I could write about, giving me WEEKS of material, if only I could remember it that long.

Yesterday began with a trip to the dentist. For Nicholas.

My dentist, in case you do not know, works out of a farmhouse eleven miles from here. He has no receptionist, no hygenist, no nothing. It's just him and a dentist chair, and he cleans my teeth, offers me advice, and sends me on my way. I don't even get a toothbrush.

Nick's dentist is nearby. It's a group. It has a website. They have a web of hallways with rooms and chairs and hygentists and techncians rushing around. And in the waiting room... Not only do they have toys, not only do they have TV's, but they have VIDEO GAMES. I'm talking about Sega video games plugged right into the wall. It's outrageous. First of all, is there ANYWHERE we can go where I don't have to pry my kids away from a TV screen? The grocery store? The mall? ANYWHERE? Secondly, just how long DO we have to wait? One level? Two? I made an appointment, right? Why am I waiting long enough to play a video game? PLEASE someone tell me what I am missing?

3 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Ask Jamie -- he's knows everything about video games & levels. I'll bet he could give Nick some tips that would vault him way over the top of all those other players at the dentist's office!!!

Jules said...

Wow. That is amazing. TV really are everywhere and in our faces at all times. Remember when waiting rooms had books for kids to look at and read!

Jamie said...

hey, times haven't changed all that much: remember creepy nasty no-gloves dr. lucia's office? He had pacman!