Monday, March 23, 2009

GOOD NEWS!


My father was given the very generous gift of two tickets to WICKED. My mother's accident and the resulting broken and dislocated arm made it too difficult and painful for her to go. Guess who went instead? ME!!!!

I have been wanting to see WICKED forever. I actually went out and purchased the soundtrack, something I never do anymore. I read the book, which wasn't helpful, as even comparing it to the soundtrack made it obvious that the two were only loosely related. (Not knocking the book. I love the book, too. All three of them.)

It was wonderful! I loved it so much! It is smart and funny and beautiful and well done. I seriously had the time of my life. We had great seats, the sets were fantastic, the lighting, the effects... FLYING MONKEYS! I mean, how could a show not be great when it had flying monkeys?

The thing is, I don't think I ever would have seen it on my own. Why not? Well... I know many of you would scoff at this, but... WICKED came to Boston a couple of years ago. I looked into getting tickets, but they were so expensive! Seriously, over a hundred dollars to see a play - not great seats, either. I just couldn't justify the expense. I know that some people have the ability to see Broadway shows multiple times. And maybe my unwillingness to pay my way to see one even once speaks to my dedication to the arts, or lack thereof. Maybe if I cared about theatre more, or appreciated it more, I wouldn't give the cost a second thought. We could eat theatre, and live in the warmth it brings us.

After all, most of the shows that I hear about on Broadway are not original. I know, I'm far away and I'd be the first to admit I don't even try to keep up, but this is what I hear about. I loved West Side Story. I have no doubt the new production is marvelous. But I've seen it. The same goes for Guys and Dolls. I guess people would rather pay lots of money to see something they are more likely to like. So shows that are new and "untested" don't get as big an audience. So they don't do as well. So they are then less likely to get put on by the men with the money. Which means when I know there's a new show I haven't seen out there, and I have a good chance of loving it, I should just SEE IT. If I could only afford to.

I hate to sound as though I'm complaining. But I guess I am. Not about WICKED. I am so greatful for the chance to see it, and could not have enjoyed it more. I just wish I could see marvelous things more often, without feeling that I'm gambling.

No comments: