Tuesday, March 17, 2009

the leper-con

When I was a kid, St. Patrick's Day meant that there would be a lot of traffic, because of the parade, and that we'd probably be late for school. If we had it at all. That was about it. AS I got older it became a day to drink beer, or cider, but again, nothing huge.

Nicholas has taken to whimpering and crying on days that he has school, sometimes starting his protests the night before. He doesn't like school, doesn't want to go, wants to stay with me, etc.

Monday I went to pick him up and the first thing he asked was "am I coming to school tomorrow?" And I said no, because he doesn't come Tuesdays. And, much to my surprise, his face crumpled as though he were going to cry. "But it's St. Patrick's Day!" he said. "And I have to be here for the party and the Lepercon!"

I shrugged and said we'd celebrate at home.

In the car, Nicholas put on his brave face. "You know what?" he said. "The Lepercon will probably come to our house." Nick went on to explain that the Leprechaun stole into houses and made little messes, tipped over trash bins, left sparkly footprints and chocolate coins everywhere, and also left "sparkles in the toilet." I had a vague memory of his Nursery class celebrating this last year, but then I decided we had to get to the supermarket so that I could pick up more medicine for Andy, who's had a fever.

So, needless to say, the Leprechaun visited our home this year for the first time EVER, leaving chocolate coins in odd places, like the boys coat pockets, and in their toothpaste drawer. These chocolate coins should not at all be confused with ones sold for passover, even though many of them are Israeli coins. He might have also been making little messes, but in this house, how could one tell?

It was a hit with Nick, though, who is convinced a silly little elf has been leaving treats for him around the house.

And now, a video of the boys playing with crayons:

1 comment:

LARISSA said...

In this video, Nate reminds me of my brother at that age. Anything and everything can become a gun.