Monday, March 09, 2009

Time In A Bottle

I know I have previously posted about Daylight Savings Time, the time change, how I don't understand it, and how I feel it is actually a device meant to torture those of us with small children. To a small child, an hour is a LONG time to wait for snack, nap, bed, or to wake up.

But this time around I noticed a few other things.

For one thing, we have too many clocks. While resetting them I realized that three of them are within four feet of each other. And I HAVE to set them ALL. Nothing is more irritating than a bunch of clocks all telling different times. And the one on the coffee maker HAS to be right.

But upstairs we have almost no clocks at all. There are two. Steve's alarm clock is by our bed, and he sets it ten minutes fast for reasons I cannot comprehend. So each time I glance at it I need to subtract ten minutes to find "real time." There is also a battery powered alarm clock in Andy's room which I placed there when I was breastfeeding. The batteries are going by now, so the clock is running slow. At this point it runs about a half hour behind, so I need to add thirty minutes to find "real time."

With the time change I was adding an hour. So I had to glance at Steve's clock and add an hour, then subtract ten minutes. Or in Andy's room add an hour and then another half hour. And last night I wasn't sure if Steve had reset his clock, so when Andy woke me up the five or six times, I didn't know if I was adding an hour and subtracting ten minutes or if I was just subtracting thirty minutes, and by the time I got to Andy's room I couldn't remember what the first clock said anyway.

All I know is that I was very glad I had set the clock on the coffee machine. The one with the timer. So that coffee is ready by the time I drag my body down the stairs, exhausted from doing math problems all night long.

No comments: